Thursday, September 30, 2010

So sleepy.

It's impressive how different things became in the span of three days.  In the first three weeks of my being here, my biggest problem was trying to find inexpensive food to bring home.  Now, I'm trying to do that and socialize and play video games while still doing all of my homework.  My free time is dead.  It's awesome though.  Every minute that I'm in class, I can see improvement in my listening and recognition and every minute I'm doing homework or looking over vocabulary and kanji, I am making new connections.  The whole process is exhilarating.  I can see how someone might grow to become addicted to this.

At this point, it is likely that one might infer that I moved up into the level 2 Japanese language class.  For those who are still wondering: I did.  It is not without a little bit of shame that I accept this promotion, as those who were already there gained their status through the use of their wits and will, while I gained my status by begging and pleading.  I genuinely do feel as though the testing system is inadequate, but it did split the exchange students up into almost accurate groups.  There really aren't that many outliers.  Also, no test is perfect.

I love giant robots, but I've never gotten into watching Gundam and I have recently been regretting my choice to leave it alone.  After all, I made the choice back when I thought it was cool not to watch things that people like for the sake of going against conformity.  Now I recognize the fact that, while there are times where people will like things that aren't awesome(American Idol), there are also times where people form a consensus for something that is actually good(chocolate covered bananas).  It is important to make your own choices, but it is also important that you not discount choices based on public opinion, whether that opinion is overtly positive or negative. 

I'm having to squint to read the letters on the screen.  I dislike being this tired.  Maybe I should just type with my eyes closed and then go back and correct everything all at once, after I'm done.  I'm reasonably sure that I won't be proofreading tonight, though.  Not that I proofread most nights.  I should hire an editor. 

Oh, remind me to post pictures of the delicious Baked Apple Honey Burger I ate today at the burger place across the street.  NTB.

No comments:

Post a Comment