Friday, September 24, 2010

Oh man, placementing.

As it turns out, placement tests are not fun at all.  I mean, most tests aren't really fun, but placement tests are even not fun in so far as tests go.  There's nothing quite like going into a test with little or no information for the formatting or weight of grade knowing that the sole purpose of the test is to judge you and determine what your next year is going to be like and how much you will learn.  From what I learned from talking to the other exchange students, most anyone who knew any Japanese coming in, made it through the third part of the test without much trouble.  The fourth part was nigh indecipherable and the fifth and final part was gobbledy-gook.  It may as well have been written in a foreign language.  I obviously don't know what my score is for the parts that I finished, but I am fairly confident that I didn't miss too many.  I just want to get into the second group.

After the awful test, I had my first class and it seems really good.  It's about contemporary media in Japan.  The class is taught by three separate teachers in three separate sections.  Sort of like taking three single credit classes, but all in the same block.  They call it "omnibus" format and it's the first I've heard of it.  The first teacher is teaching us about Japanese newspaper.  He seems like a pretty cool guy.  He made a few jokes and his English seems to be pretty incredible.  All in all, I think it should be pretty fun.

I got to start a game of Civilization 5 today and it seems really good.  I really like the hex system and the new way they handle combat is really nice.  Funny watching anyone with guns mow down everyone else.  I really like the way ranged works, too.  Never made sense that archers got into melee range before.  I look forward to schooling some friends in it, but I fear that I will be unable to find a block of time that matches with one of their schedules.  Oh well, I'll have to try anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment