Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sushi, etc.

So far, my plan to spend little to nothing on breakfast is working out well.  Today, I ate a granola bar that I had left from "the States" as they are called here.  Some say "back home" in a sort of wistful aloof way, but those people don't have their head in the game!  I don't say you gotta hate America, but you have to downplay its importance a little bit or people will doubt your resolve to be awesome in Japan!  But, I digress.

Sushi, as I'd heard somewhere before, is awesome here.  Who knew?!  We went to one of those places most people have seen in a movie where there is a giant mega conveyor belt running in and around the store.  It is big.  If it didn't complete a full circle, I would liken it to some major river system like the Amazon with all its windyness.  Maybe it's more like an RC car track or hot wheels track set up by a kid with unlimited resources.  That got away from me a little bit.  I'm gonna start a new paragraph

So yah, sushi on color coded plates winding around the room.  The cool thing was almost all of the plates cost 100 yen!  That's a little over a dollar for a sushi roll!  I had five different kinds and spent like six bucks American!  I pretty much stuck to the staples like shrimp, salmon sashimi, tuna rolls, that sort of thing, but they had a large variety of things that were just strange to see and some of which not appetizing at all.  Like squid sashimi.  No thanks.  I'm sure I'll try it at some point, but I am gonna have to mentally prepare myself.  Or corn rolls.  Literally, seaweed wrapped around what appeared to be buttery corn.  I mean, maybe but I've eaten a lot of corn and I can't see that being anything I'll care about.  That being said, I did eat bacon sushi and that was about twice as awesome as I thought it was gonna be and my expectations were pretty high going in. 

My camera is dead atm, but I did post almost 100 pictures earlier, so maybe you can look at those and think about how awesome I am?  That's what I do when I look at them.  There will be more to come later; I just need to let it charge for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment